Electric VehiclesElectric Vehicles [link]
Electric Vehicles benefits slides from Erin Mansur [link]
- Review of consumer demand and social benefits of EVs
Reading and response questions
We’re going to start our discussion of electric vehicles by looking and the drivers of demand. Please read the following three articles.
- The New York Times, Electric Cars Are Better for the Planet – and Often Your Budget, Too
- Max Auffhammer, “The EV revolution will be heavily subsidized”
- Lucas Davis, “An EV in every driveway?”
- builds on an earlier blog here (optional)
- What do you think the key determinants of electric vehicle demand are?
- The New York Times article suggests that EVs often save consumers money. Yet they have very low market shares. What are some reasons for that?
- Who do you think benefits most from EV subsidies, and why? (A couple sentences each)
Next we’re going to discuss the environmental benefits of EVs.
- Read this summary of an important article on the benefits of EV’s. Optional: If you are interested, the full paper is available here.
- Lucas Davis, “All charged up and no place to go”
- We’re currently heavily subsidizing electric vehicle adoption at both the state and local level. Are these subsidies actually a good idea?
- These subsidies typically focus on the “extensive margin” (new car purchases), not on the “intensive margin” (driving). Is looking at EV sales growth alone a sufficient measure of progress towards reducing gasoline consumption? (A couple sentences each)