Energy EfficiencyEE Gap Slides [link]
Allcott and Sweeney Slides [link]
Weatherization Wars [link]
- Basic economics of adoption of energy saving capital.
- Review evidence and policy motivated by an apparent energy efficiency gap.
- Discuss “rational” and behavioral explanations.
- Using field experiments to test different explanations/ policy interventions.
Required reading and response questions
- What is the energy efficiency gap?
- What are some “rational” explanations?
Required Readings Read the following two experimental papers. For each paper, you don’t have to read the whole thing. Read the abstract and the intro, then skim the rest to understand the experimental setup and key results.
For each paper, write one paragraph explaining:
- What is the research question in each paper?
- How does the experiment allow the authors to answer the question?
** Required Readings** Recently, there was a very public debate of the benefits of weatherization. Some prominent economists conducted a study which called into question the wisdom of a popular energy efficiency program.
- Read this summary of their critique here, and a blog post from one of the authors here
- You can read a rebuttal in the New York Times here (optional)
- You can read the published article on the study here (Fowlie, Greenstone and Wolfram QJE 2018)
- Do you find the economist’s criticism of this program fair?
- What did you take away from this back and forth?