Renewable EnergyIntro [link]
Wind Slides [link]
Solar Slides [link]
- Renewable energy basics
- Taxes vs subsidies
- Rationale for subsidies
- Subsidizing inputs vs outputs
- Demand subsidies and the impact on the grid
Required reading and response questions
No required readings
- Conceptually, why might it matter if we subsidize energy investment rather than production?
- What is the authors’ “empirical strategy” for estimating the extent to which this matters in practice?
Read the following three blog posts on solar demand and electricity pricing:
Optional additional posts
- What is the relationship between electricity prices and solar PV demand?
- What is “net metering”? Do you think it is a good idea?
- Video from DOE on the solar “duck curve”